Tuesday, March 8, 2016






I have this mold.  Isn't it beautiful and now I need instructions on how to fill it with frit, powder and how to fire.  Can I add glass to it?  How is the middle done?  How exactly do I fire it?

This is the mold.  Actually this is not the exact mold,  this is the exact mold

It is flatter than the one above



B2338-Sunflower Texture Plate

It is flatter than the one above.  I prefired  2 pieces of blank glass into an 8 inch circle, then I covered the center of the mold with black powder.  I layered over the black power red fine frit which I enclosed in a circle of green frit.  I placed the prefired panel over it and are currently firing it at the following schedule

275 dph............................1225 degrees...........................hold 1 hour
300dph..............................1330 degrees..........................hold 10 mins
300 dph..............................1465 degrees.........................hold 5 mins
full......................................900 degrees...........................hold 1 hour

Will the piece take the outside shape of the mold or did I have to precut that.  I think I already proved to myself that the slump stage would be successful in fixing the outer shape but I am looking at it again for this in what is a complex or multi pointed shape. I hope it does take the shape.  I filled the center part of the sunflower but in the next try I will use different colors and from this time I should know if the amount of frit that I used is correct or not.

It did not take the shape of the outside edges.  some of the ends raised a bit and another broke off.  I have to understand slumping molds better. 



Irid glass

 Irid  clear fired face down and capped with royal blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment