Sunday, March 20, 2016

Impasse

I am at some sort of an impasse, not knowing which way to go, with so many choices.  And for some of these choice I go halfway and then don't finish.  Is this my ADHD, am I so unable to finish tasks?  Yes, that partially seems to be the case.  For example, I have done several pot and screen melts and I now have a wet tile saw, but I have not completed a full piece yet that incorporates a piece of the screen and pot melt.  I did do one, incorporating that with black glass and that somewhat turned me off; the black glass was a little too extreme for my taste so perhaps that was the reason.  In order to incorporate a piece of screen melt into a larger piece, you need to have the right color around, and I did not have the right color around.  To get that color you have to be able to recognize it in a catalog and order it or go all the way to Manchester, and bring your chunk with you and match it.  Also, most of the screen melts come out thicker than 1/4 " and so in order to correctly put it in a piece I would probably have to layer 2 1/2 to 3 pieces of glass.   I now know that I could fire polish the piece and then it would flatten to 1/4" inch, although, in some cases this fire polishing causes devitrification.  The only way around that is to sand blast it which I cannot do, not having the machine, or cover it with a thin layer of fine clear frit and fuse it again.  If that works, I would still have to incorporate that into another piece, fuse that piece and then slump it, meaning two more firings.  I don't know, I haven't done that yet, but will it devitrify after all those firings;  would the glass even survive all those firings?  That would make 4 total firings.  And it is difficult to cut the outside piece correctly, making sure that everything fits and is in line.  So what should I do, I have one piece from a screen melt that has some devitrification on it and I dont want to do anything with it. 

I have also been cutting curvy squiggles in glass and found that pretty hard to do but I did do some and are not quite determined what to do with that, so now for both I am going to put them aside.  I originally thought I could cover the squiggles with some decorative stuff and hang them in a screen melt.  But that is problematic, how should I hang them with bails, or drill holes, and drilling holes takes some work.  My drill does not work very fast and I am not so committed to that piece yet, so for this also I have to set it aside and think more about it.

It came to me to try out pocket vases.  I could use my clear glass, which I have quite a lot of, but this will take a lot.  I will have to open the kiln while it is draping and watch the progress.  But i feel like it is worth a try and I also seem to like to try new things.  Okay, so first I will put away all the other things I have been working on and remain unfinished.  I have a lot of those kind of things and I want to finish things in the future.  Then I will gather materials for the pocket vases.  Here we go.  Pocket vases seem to be more complicated than they appear.  When the top piece of glass drapes over the fiber paper what will happen?  If I want to include or create a design in the top piece of glass should i do that first.  Well yes I should and then cut it into 2 pieces for a pocket vase.  Also is the firing schedule I am using for this pocket vase going to work.  I used the following firing schedule:

300 dph............................1025 degrees .......................................hold 20 mins.
300 dph.............................1245 degrees ......................................hold 15 mins
full......................................900 degrees ......................................hold 1 hour
100 dph..............................700 degrees........................................hold 2 hours
off

Well now I am going to look at Bullseye tip sheet on part sheets and making some on clear glass that I think will look nice in a pocket vase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment